Spend the summer learning and earning with Hord Farms!
Are you currently pursuing/looking to pursue certification or a degree in animal sciences, or a related field, and searching for an opportunity to jump-start your career? Hord Family Farms offers a 10-12-week program, designed to provide a global perspective on state-of-the-art swine production systems. If you are passionate about swine production, organized, responsible, and an excellent communicator, we’d love to talk to you about joining our team, Summer 2021.
Interns will mirror the schedules of our full-time pig production specialists, learning and performing in-depth practices and procedures on a modern sow farm. There will also be opportunities to interact with a variety of departments around the farm, ultimately obtaining a broader understanding of the scope of modern animal agriculture. Internship experiences can be altered to fit individual’s needs, as necessary.
What to Expect:
- Training on the processes and procedures at a sow farm to ensure excellent animal care, with specific exposure to:
- Sow, nursery, and grow-finish production
- Genetics and multiplication
- Sow breeding, farrowing, and optimal health strategies
- Nutrition and research
- Exposure to management training in workflow, communicating and achieving production targets, and recordkeeping requirements
- Professional and personal development opportunities to broaden your communication, interpersonal, and technical skills
- Networking opportunities with our staff veterinarian, company executives, and other industry professionals to learn more about:
- Quality assurance and animal welfare
- Neighbor and public relations
- Cost analysis and production decision-making
- Environmental initiatives
What We’re Looking For:
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced, physically strenuous environment
- Display a high level of respect to team members and animals
- Willingness to learn and carry out complex instructions effectively
- Impeccable record of reliability/dependability
Competitive Compensation Package; Housing- assistance as available.